Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

K - so we use Fresh Step Brand Kitty Litter brand which has

Customer Question

Customer: k - so we use Fresh Step Brand Kitty Litter brand which has that blue residue when wet and especially when it gets into carpet. The problem is the cat, which has recently been moved out of this room, was in the room that is going to (in a couple of weeks) be our baby's nursery and the litter which because she was a very large, long-haired cat, trekked the cat litter onto the carpet and now that area of the carpet (the bad area itself is only a square foot, but still it's the baby's room) is stained, underneath the carpet fibers with a brownish blue substance. To fix the problem, we vacuumed then hired a professional carpet cleaner to clean the entire house's carpet. The new problem now is that the brownish blue substance still smells of litter/poo and though not so much visibly noticeable on the surface, is clearly a dark color and while walking over it in just my socks the other day when cleaning, I took my socks off and could still smell the litter/poo smell. I'm just really concerned about my new baby crawling around or even going in there at all! Is there anything I can spray on it to get the poo/litter smell out and also disinfect it??? Help!!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Rachel.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to General Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure....Also, I have purchased an area rug to go on top of the carpet for temporary purposes, but really want to know if there is a way to disinfect it more than anything for my and the baby's safety. That's the main thing I'm concerned with.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please call my phone -(###) ###-####
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

This is just for your consideration and certainly something you have probably already considered..

I would completely replace the carpet and pad . No amount of

cleaning is going to make that carpet safe for a new baby.

If you pull the carpet up you probably be shocked by what you find underneath it .

Make sure the new carpet and pad is reccomended safe for newborns.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

This is a link to an article that may help with your preparation

Of the nursery.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

The total replacement of the carpet may sound like overkill

but in the long run it is usually the safest way to go.