Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I need to build a staircase. It will be 8ft gh. I need to

Customer Question

I need to build a staircase. It will be 8ft high. I need to know if my design will be good enough. I plan to us 2x10 for the risers (12ft long) with 2x10 for treads. They will be placed between the risers (risers will not be notched) with a metal bracket under each tread to hold it to the riser. It will be 12 steps from what I am figuring. Or 11 steps with the last step being the second floor. the treads will be 24" long. This is a stair to go in my garage to reach a storage loft.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.
You're design sounds fine but your terminology is a bit confusing. The 2 x 10's that support the treads are called stringers not risers. Using brackets to support the treads is an excellent approach. The only thing is that this design isn't code compliant but given its purpose I wouldn't worry about that.