Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I'm ***** *****. My new home is all laminate floors. The

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I'm ***** *****. My new home is all wood laminate floors. The previous owners used Murphy's oil soap on the floors and even in rubber soled shoes it is too slippery to walk. Is there something I can do to correct this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a wood laminate floor and it's slick. Is there a product I can use to clean the floor and remove the previous damage done by oil based cleaning products?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Improvement Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Murphys is a good product but it can be over used producing the result you are now dealing with.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

There are different steps you can try and compare results.

1: Pick an inconspicuous area first try water and vinegar ( one cup vinegar to gallon water) This can leave a dull residue at first but that can also be removed.

2: in the same area use paint thinner , not lacquer thinner .or paint remover. When the residue is removed switch to a soft clean dry cloth . Polish the floor until the cloth glides easily on the floor.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot get the cloth to glide smoothly start over with the paint thinner again . Obce you have perfected your technique and are sastified with the results you can do the rest of the floor using soft wax applicators .

Remember for the final test polish with the soft clean one until it glides.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

If you continue to use Murphys use it sparingly and about half the mix the directions reccomebd. It is water soluable and must be rinsed thoroughly.

You can use just vinegar and water to clean your floor.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Rrmember when you use any product on your floor that requires water use it and the water sparingly. Just damp sponge mops and then dry thoroughly with a clean soft

dust mop type tool .

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

NOTE: looking back to step two what I am saying is if the vinegar is not working then switch to trying paint thinner.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

This is just regular paint thinner. It will not remove dry paint or polyurethane finishes.