Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

My garage door opens but will not close when the temperature

Customer Question

my garage door opens but will not close when the temperature is lower than 55 degrees. The light blinks 10 times. The door will close if I manually hold the key pad down till the door closes all the way. If the temperature is greater than 55 if works fine. I tried the lithium grease on he chain and rollers and still no diference
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

This is often causedc by the safety sensors

( located at the bottom of the door on each side.)

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Temperature can affect their operation if other factors are present.

Things to check:

1: alignment: If almost out of line temperature can move a sensor ( through expansion and contraction) enough to cayse it to fail.

2: Wiring : electrical wire also expands and contracts affecting connections and damaged areas. Check at and to the sensor back to the control board

3: sensor defective/broken: sensors can have internal problems causing them to have to be replaced: ( replace both if one is defective)

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

There are other less likely causes such as problems with the control board and its componets.

When all possibilities related to the sensors have been corrected or verified replacing the control board is the next step.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Because of the cost of the control board you may want to consult a professional before replacing it.