Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Looking on installing a thermal barrier at the patio

Customer Question

Looking for detail on installing a thermal barrier at the patio entrance on a two story house with on the back patio wall exposed to weather
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

Could you please be a bit more specific? I really don't know what you're asking. Sounds to me like a simple matter of insulating said wall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not for the wall. I have done this before but it has been sometime, This was in Northern Virginia where they typically provide for 1 foot of freeze protection Here is what i think we did - prior to pouring concrete for the patio we installed a 2" thick foam sheet extending 4 feet out from the opening to reduce the amount of cold temperature coming form the earth.
I am looking for a detail to provide to the builder thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm not familiar with this process and don't even see the point if the patio is not enclosed and heated. I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Dovetail Greene replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name's Kel. I just found your question. When you mention entrance I'll assume you're referring to the entrance of the house. The detail you're mentioning has three aspects. First is to insulate from the footing to the top of the foundation with 2" of board insulation. Second is rough grade the area from the foundation out five feet. Dig to provide a slight pitch to allow for drainage. Second is place 2 to 3 inches of sand and rake that smooth. Then apply 2" inches of board insulation. Then cover with poly then cover with top soil or concrete. If there's light foot traffic from the patio through the entrance you can position the insulation so it's covered with three inches of concrete. The thinner the insulation at the entry the less thermal bridging you'll have. Provide a joint between the patio and house to serve as a bond breaker and thermal break. Does this make sense? Have I answered your questions?