Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I'm ***** *****. I saw your article about insulation in a

Customer Question

Customer: I'm ***** *****. I saw your article about insulation in a crawlspace, but I think my question is a little different. We have an addition to our house that was built over a new crawlspace. The crawlspace is about 4 feet deep with concrete floors. The addition is heated by in-floor heating. It gets very cold in the addition in the winter. A contractor friend suggested that I insulate the ceiling of the crawlspace. I've started to do that. HOWEVER, the insulation causes a lot of dust. I would like to cover it with something so that our stuff in the crawlspace doesn't get dusty. I am afraid to use a vapor barrier, though, because I feel like that might not be the right thing. I'm not sure what to use to contain all that dust.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I pressed "send" accidentally before. I appended my question above your response.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Improvement Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you have a vapor barrier up against the floor (where it should be ) then you're right to have some concern about applying a second barrier on the bottom of the joists. But this is often done when there is a wet crawl space. So it's not a big deal since it's unlikely water will get trapped in the floor between the 2 vapor barriers. However the best option would be to use Tyvek or a similar product. These products allow water vapor to pass through and have the added benefit of being a pretty tough material that's a lot more resistant to punctures than poly sheeting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a barrier on the floor because it's not really dirt. It's dry in there, too. I think I'll go with Tyvek. Thank you.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I meant a vapor barrier up against the underside of the floor in the living space.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, right. Thank you.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure. I'd appreciate a favorable rating