Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Restoring antigue ineriors

Customer Question

restoring antigue wood ineriors
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Lemon Oil is a better preservative and you can use Old English scratch cover polish to hide the scratches.

http://www.oldenglishpolish.com/sf2_scratch.shtml

Old English is widely available as is lemon oil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds fine but I'm not really clear on what lemon oil is or what it does. Is it a wax or an oil? Will it harden on the surface or just penetrate into the existing finish? My paint contractor wants to touch up the scratches with a stain and then spray a verathan matt finish over the existing finish. This sounds like the worst option but I'm not clear on why it is a bad choice. I like your idea of using lemon oil but do I need to clean the wood first? What product should I use to clean?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Lemon oil is not a wax it's an oil. It doesn't "harden" on the wood. It's been used for generations on fine furniture. If the wood is dirty you can use Murphy's Oil Soap but if it isn't dirty you don't have to clean it. If you want to maintain the soft natural finish then urethane is not a good idea.