Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Do I need a vapor barrier in an attic that is most likely

Customer Question

Do I need a vapor barrier in an attic that is most likely not properly vented?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

it would behoove you to make adequate ventilation because insulation through ventilation.......as far as a vapor barrier that would really be secondary but it also would seal off cold drafts............what type of insulation is there? batt? blown in?

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

also if it is batt insulation is it faced or un-faced and do you have a double layer blanket

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The attic had a mold issue, the previous owner had a ridge vent cut in. I had a few different contractors It was not done correctly and does not work properly. The old batt insulation is being remove new blown in is being installed without vapor barrier. If attic is not properly vented is a vapor barrier a must?
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

If you were putting a vapor barrier it has to go between the drywall and the joists (framing).....so if that is not applicable it is not a must........ it would be more beneficiary for you to cross blanket a layer on top if need be and have the proper ventilation like I previously stated, BUT consider, you do not have to do that now.......go thru the winter and see if your heating costs have changed significantly and if you can feel a loss in the room, you can always do it later in the season or next ........DO NOT put any plastic sheeting on top because it will only trap moisture between the warm and the cold ........possibly is that what happened before ?

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

oh and by the way you really should try and kill any of that mold because it will only increase

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Originally there was a whole house fan and an attic hatch that had no cover so heat would enter cold attic without ventilation. cross blanket would be of the batt type with no backing?
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

those two items are useful during the summer to remove the excessive heat which is important too, for structure and utility costs............the cross could go across .......but again see if the blown-in does the trick ............and yes un-faced no craft paper for the attic