AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

As it gets colder my opener does not want to close via the

Customer Question

As it gets colder my opener does not want to close via the remote. It opens fine on the remote but will only close if I hold the wall button while it closes. The photo eyes are both lit. ANy ideas?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

What you are experiencing is very common and it is an issue with the safety eyes.

The ONLY reason the wall button will close a door when holding down the button, is the safety eyes have a failure at some point.

It only takes a split second, the blink of your eyes., to reverse the door.

It usually takes 2 people to watch both eyes, to see if one blinks for an instant

It is usually due to the weather causing door rail contraction and when the door moves, it twists enough to cause the mis alignment and then realign.

When it happens, watch the eyes closely and see if one doesnt blink.

Keep me posted and we can continue as necessary as other issues can do the same thing to the eyes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could see that being a problem and I'll look for that but when it's warm and the door works well, you could block the eyes and the door will still close. This door was installed long before I bought the house so I figured the previous owner somehow disabled the photo eyes. I was surprised that this issue developed. The temperature difference is really very small. At 60 it works normally but at say 40, the trouble begins. Would changing the photo eyes fix the problem? I would hate to get new ones if it won't fix the issue.

If it is misalignment, then new ones would not perform any better than the old ones.

If blocking the eyes, still allows the door to close, that is a serious issue.

There is no way to bypass or disable the eyes and the door opener work.

They may not deactivate when blocking, but you cannot get around them in any way. They work on a frequency signal and there is no way to simulate the operation to fool the opener.

I think in your case, if that was happening, that the eyes had failed already but instead of failing in the deactivated mode, they failed activated and now maybe they have completely wiped out internally.

The holding of the wall button works ONLY to close the door when the safety system fails, there is no other purpose.

The safety eyes are the issue in one way or the other.