Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a hot water boiler with baseboard heat how do I know

Customer Question

I have a hot water boiler with baseboard heat how do I know if there is enough water in the boiler
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You need to look at the pressure gauge (usually) on the boiler. You should have at least 10 to 12 psi when the system is cold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my pressure guage is pegged out must be it don't work boiler temp is 160
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's not unusual for the gauge on the boiler to fail. You need to get a test gauge like this one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-Plastic-Water-Pressure-Test-Gauge-DP-IWTG/100175467

But one with a lower scale would be easier to read for this application. Screw it onto any hose drain/faucet on the system and open the drain to check the actual pressure. Anything over 30 psi and the relief valve should discharge. Normal operating pressure range (from a cold to a hot boiler) is 10 to 25 psi.