Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Fish odor lingering in the house week now.

Customer Question

Fish odor lingering in the house for a week now.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

You had the heat on so the bulk of the osor would be trapped in the filter. Replace the filter . There is ofren two. One at the return in the house where air is drawn in. The other is located in the air handler where heated air blows into the duct work

Also replace the filter at the microwave .

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

These filters may be washable . It is best to replace them but if that is not practical then Clean until no odor or dirt is present. You can rinse with a mixture of water and vinegar( about 20% vinegar) then rinse again with plain water.

Note: make sure the filters are washable before doing this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what else can we do? Boil vinegar on the stove?......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what else can we do? Boil vinegar on the stove?...... It seems like the smell is in the walls, the furniture, the floor.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Once you replace the filters the majority of the source shoukd be gone.

Clean tha area/s above the stove, the wall behind it and the bottom of any cabinets that are close to the stove. Also the cabinet doors.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

You said grilled, as in over a burner, in that case the burners would need cleaning and if your grill has one the grease jar should be replaced or cleaned.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Certain indoor grills (Jen Aire ) for example require a lot of cleaning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry by grilling I meant to say that I fut the fish on a skillet and grilled under the burner flames with butter on the fish.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I know you have a real problem here but a thorough cleaning of anything in the kitchen should help.

Check pot holders, dishtowels and any surface areas you may have overlooked. Also flush the disposal in the sink.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Any furniture or rugs/ carpet can be sprinkled with baking soda and then vacumn about twenty minutes later or if practical overnight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, Thanks I will try that. I also was told to leave out vinegar and boil lemon juice in water and cirtus peels and cinamon. I will try that too.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Anything citrus can also help.

Hang in there you will get it.