Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Have ammonia smell- in hallway of house - i have dogs and

Customer Question

have ammonia smell- in hallway of house - i have dogs and clean my carpet weekly just started to smell - can i do anything short of pulling up carpet to get rid of this smell
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

You might want to try sprinkling down some baking soda and some Fabreeze and let it sit for a day. I don't know how old your carpet is but the burlap that the rug is weaved into could be deteriorating and may be harboring the odor.........hope this helped

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done that
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

sorry I didn't see that until now.......that odor probably has permeated the rug and the padding ......might as well try another few applications with the Fabreeze spray also before going through the cost of replacement

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i pull up carpet and put on pad underneath?
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

if we are just talking about a hallway, what can it be 3 or 4 feet wide by whatever? If you were going to pull anything up maybe it would be the right time to do it.......It's not like it is a bedroom and they will have furniture to contend with plus a large area...........get a couple of estimates at say Home Depot for one and you might be surprised on the cost......and you could rid yourself of any problems, factor in the age of this one for your decision

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunatley i can smell in bed room as well
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

looks like the dogs have been having a party...........one other thing to try if you can pinpoint where the smell is the strongest, I assume it is not a glue down, you can easily pull up the carpet off, what is called the tack-less or tack-strip and get a better idea of what you are in contention with........if it is a wood floor underneath, look for stains (discolored or black and light gray)........it could be that in one concentrated area it could have seeped under the wall into the bedroom too........then you might want to try cleaning the area good and leave the carpet on a small vertical stick to let it air out.....if you do get a new rug you might have to pen them up if you go out or work during the day.....I don't know if the poochies are up in years but they get set in their ways and you can't tell them nothing ......unfortunately you and your carpet have to absorb the cost