AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

Lift master Security + model - Garage door opened fine with

Customer Question

Lift master Security + model - Garage door opened fine with remote this morning, I moved some lumber around in rafters and knocked back end of opener unit. No apparent damage, and elec. connections all still good.
Remote will not close the garage door, light on opener unit flashes 4 or 5 times. If I hold the door pad on the door will start to close, but stops and retracts as soon as I release. Light flashing as well.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

See if you can hold the wall button and let the door close, do not let go of the button until the door touches the floor, then release the button and see if it stays closed.

If this works, please look at your safety eyes on each side of the door to determine what type of LED's are lit on each one at this time and post back information.

Also, get the actual Model number off the nameplate and post in case more is needed on the unit.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tommy, I tried holding wall button til door closed, it stayed closed. I do not have safety eyes on each side of door. I asked my roofing contractor this morning if he had any ideas - he said same thing - where are the LED lights? His helper noticed two small black boxes mounted on the steel angle support of the drive unit, climbed up and tweaked them and now it all works again. This all was installed about 10 yrs ago my neighbor tells me, I have the installers name - he's got some 'splaining to do!
Thanks - pls close out this case.

Ok, not sure what the guy was tweaking and it gives me a bad feeling, but the opener should have eyes at the door.

Sounds like somebody mounted them at the opener somehow so that just look at each other and serve no purpose.

Very dangerous if you have any kids or pets as the door can close on them or your car.

Take a picture of what he was working with, and I can tell you if they are the safety eyes.

Closing with the button as asked, means that the safety eyes are the problem, that is the only over ride in the system so you can close the door even when they fail.

They figure you are looking and watching while holding the button and then it is safe