Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I just replaced the thermocouple on my gas fireplace and now

Customer Question

i just replaced the thermocouple on my gas fireplace and now the fire goes out after only a few minutes of burning
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Several possibilities.

Make sure the thermocouple is an exact replacement/ or compatible .

Check that alignment is correct, Slightly out of position will cause it not to work

Check that mounts and wire are secure.

Check that gas orifice did not get partially blocked. ; ( hardware, soot) .

Make sure gas is on

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I verify that it is an exact replacement? I bought a replacement at Lowe's... It keeps the pilot lit, which is why I replaced it in the first place, so it seems to be doing its intended purpose - could this be the issue?It fits snug in an assembly next right next to the pilot light, so I believe I have it in proper alignment.I made sure the main gas to the fireplace wasn't blocked and the gas is turned on.I have a Marco model 792774E fireplace, which indicates it is a wood burning fireplace but there was gas installed to it when I purchased the home.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

The fire place being designed for wood is no problem.

It apoears you were having a pilot light problem and everything else worked . Now the pilot works as you previously pointed out. You checked the alignment .

If the pilot light problem was corrected it can be assumed yiu have the right replacement.

If the fire goes out after a few minutes and the pilot also goes

out there could be a problem with the gas flow ( air in the line). You nay have to repeat the process several times to bleed the air out of the gas line.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I didnt see if you mentioned uf the unit uses natural gas or propane. If the line does need " bleeding " propane may take a few more tries. Letting the pilot burn for about half an hour before turning the logs on can help clear the line

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left the pilot running all day - 8-10 hours - and the fire still went out about 5 minutes after lighting it. I relit it and it lasted less than 1 minute.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

The trouble must be in the line or the gas.

If you have propane there could be moisture in the tank from sitting all summer. Your propane gas supplier can help you with this. If it is natural gas you should have the gas company check your meter.

Other causes can be wrong orifice ( not likely in this case unless it has been changed .