Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

We're installing an underdeck drainage system. The water

Customer Question

We're installing an underdeck drainage system. The water will be collected in a gutter where the deck abuts the house. There's an existing downspout at a corner where the deck wraps around the house. We'd like to share that downspout with the underdeck
gutter. One way would cut the downspout and have its water dump into the under deck gutter, but we worry that the volume of water from the roof may overflow the underdeck gutter. Are there guidelines for this type of thing? Is there a better way to do this?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your best bet would be to use a Y fitting and connect each down spout to the Y

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The under deck gutter would then have to go around the existing downspout. We then would have to somehow waterproof between the gutter and the downspout to prevent water dripping from that area.Does that make sense? If not, I could send a picture or a drawing to show the problem.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but your description doesn't do it for me. I need a picture.

You can post a picture here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box. You can only post from a PC or a Mac not a phone or a tablet. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service like Google pics or Dropbox. Then post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service. http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's stormy now--want to wait until it quits raining. Ok, I'll send picture later this afternoon.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

No problem I'm online until ~7 pm EDT. I'll respond as soon as I can