Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

My garage door will open about 2 feet then stop. if i t the

Customer Question

my garage door will open about 2 feet then stop. if i hit the button again, it goes another 2 feet then stops. it will do this until its fully open. it closes fine. if i disconnect the door, it opens 2 feet and then stops even without a door connected. i can manually open and close the door fine. any idea?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The only idea that the behavior of your door suggests to me is, that it may have a defective motor with a slightly shorted winding. If, when it opens 2 feet and stops for the first time in a while, the motor housing within a minute or two of that feels distinctly warm, that would confirm the supposition that it is stopping owing to internal overheating having nothing to do with the load of the door.

But then, why would it work in the other direction OK? that I admit I cannot explain... perhaps the defective winding is not used in that direction? But you were asking for 'any idea'.

If the opener is fairly old, a decade or more, the supposition that it has a defective motor becomes somewhat more likely, I think. At any rate, either repairing or replacing the main motor might be the way to go with this case, though I admit there also might be other interpretations of the problem.

Since this really isn't much to offer, I have Opted Out, re-opening the case for other Experts' opinions.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

This kind of problem can often be corrected by adjusting the travel limits of the lift. There are usualky arrows located on the dide of the overhead unit. One points up and one down.

Up is the open adjustment

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Since the door closes With no problems do not turn the down adjustment.

Turn the up adjustment using a flat head screwdriver .

Start by turning it clockwise. It may take a few tries to get it adjusted completely but you should see changes as you adjust and then try the opener.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Another cause could be the force adjustment. However adjust the travel linits before trying to adjust the force . Force adjustnents are usually on the back of the opener and marked with circular arrows. They also adjust with a straight blade screwdriver.

once again adjust the up first .

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i turned the up adjustment, but it didnt help with the interment stops. it did however, cause the door to go too high and it hit the end and a plastic piece popped off and now it won't go up or down. it looks like the part that spins the belt around is no longer attached to the belt.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Check to see if the belt has jumped off the pulley ( like a (bicycle chain). Adjust the down travel slightly , not force , adjust the up back to where you thought it was

find the plastic piece. Check to see if it is broken or just popped off. If not broken return it to its proper place.

If the belt did pop off the pulley it sounds like it was slippinf

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Slipping and that could be the original problem. If you have everything back like it was look for a reason for the belt to be slack. Loose tension pulley etc.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I am going to look up the plastic piece in the meantime

Will be back shortly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was very small black piece of plastic that came flying off when the door hit whatever stopped it. i think the limits and force adjustment are all ok, it just seems to spin for a specific period of time and then stop. i think i may just need a new opener.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the plastic piece is definitively broken. i have no idea where it came from.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I hate for you to give up but the cost of parts or a professional repair compared to the cost of new often is unpractical . A lot of repairmen these days really try hard but have trouble competing with the low cost of just replacing the equipment with new . The way your situation is looking with a possible bad motor and belt then brojen parts I think replacement is a good option.