Cerecita
Cerecita, Home Improvement Answer Team
Experience:  Home Improvement Expert
1470369

Type your question here.Every once in a while I will hear a

Customer Question

Type your question here.Every once in a while I will hear a noise that sounds like a tap being turned on and off in the house. It only lasts 4-5 seconds. Happens only a few times a mounth. Any ideas.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

If your refrigerator/freezer has a built in icemaker, you could be hearing the water filling up in the icemaker. This will turn on and off automatically. If you live in an attached house or apartment, this noise could be coming from another apartment unit in the building.

I hope this helped.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information before rating, if needed.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not the problem, I don't have an ice maker. As I said it sounds like a tape being turned on and off. Could it be a pressure being released?
Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

If you don't have an ice maker, it could very well be a pressure being released in one of your pipes. If the flapper in your toilet is not secure or older and worn out, sometimes, it can sound like the toilet is flushing by itself, but it's just water escaping down the pipe where the flapper is not fitting correctly.

Warmest regards,

Cher