Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

A friend is buying a garden floor apartment in NYC and is in

Customer Question

A friend is buying a garden floor apartment in NYC and is in the negotiating process. I have advocated mold testing by a top notch professional as there are 2 floors in 2 of the rooms that are warpy(the rooms that are not over a basement), which indicates
to me a moisture problem from water damage, with inevitable mold. Mold in a home is a serious health issue, never mind the expense of remediation if necessary. What should a prospective homebuyer do to protect themselves from possible problems and what is
the best way to inspect and also use any problems as negotiating leverage. I think my friend is so in love with the apartment she doesn't want any bad news that may spoil it. And they had a home inspection this week, not a mold specialist, who said everything
is fine. I am worried her husband and child's chronic coughs may be a result of a mold issue. Thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Buy two or three of these kits, and place them in various suspect areas, low in closets or in damp areas such as bathroom and kitchen sink enclosures.

http://mold-test-kits-review.toptenreviews.com/

Follow the instructions.

Pro Labs is rated best.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-LAB-Professional-Mold-Test-Kit-MO109/202534174

It is a simple as that.

Good luck with it, Please do not forget to rate my advice, its how I earn a living and does not increase your charges.