Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

This is a question architect/contractor: I would like to put

Customer Question

This is a question for landscaping architect/contractor: I would like to put cedar wood chips in my back yard. Can I put it directly over dirt? Or do you recommend a layer of gravel? Is it ok to put a layer of gravel and flat rock (like flagstones) in between the soil and the wood chips?
Thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

You can do any of the above but the best approach if you want the wood chips to be the top layer is to put down a layer of landscape fabric which acts as a barrier for perennial weeds, shrubs or even some varieties of trees from growing up through the wood chips.