Jerry, hearth products
Experience:  owned and operated stove retail and service 12 yrs
34748161

Well I was on your webpage. I have a comfortec CDV34, about

Customer Question

Well Hi. I was on your webpage. I have a comfortec CDV34, about 1997 vintage. The pilot light can catch, but won't stay on. The gas company guy bypassed something he called a "limit switch" and later a "flame rectifier", neither of which makes a lot of sense. Is it possibly the mercury switch? He bypassed some component and it worked.
Also trying to figure out if its worth it to fix it or to replace it with something more gas-efficient.
thanks,.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Most likely it is the mercury switch that has been bypassed. These are a known weak point on this model. The availability of this switch is very limited and they are fairly expensive. I think around 200 dollars for the part. Repairing this fireplace will probably cost around 350-500 for parts and labor. As far as replacing the whole unit, that can range anywhere from 1000 on the low side up to 5000 depending on the unit purchased, the chimney configuration, and how much of the decorative tile and surround is to be replaced.

Hopefully this helps,