Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have the keys to my brinks fire safe I do not have the

Customer Question

I have the keys to my brinks fire safe I do not have the over ride key or the digital combination to the safe I can not remember if the key goes in first or if the numbers and the * goes first or last my husband usually did this and he passed away on 09/01
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Key xxxx. Safe 5084D number 015630
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me if you have anything to aid in opening the safe yourself:

- key

- 'master key'

- any number or numbers of the combination

- anything else that might aid in opening it.

Also: was your husband the registered owner of the safe? that is, did he buy it?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

By the way: I note that you cite the 'key number'. If you don't have the key, how can you know the key number ? that is a point that really puzzles me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have the key I do not have the master key my husband did buy the safe I think I have 4 numbers that might be the combination 5854 5458 0816 or 7980
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

it says open but the key does not turn

- If the key did not turn at first, it won't turn at last. If it already turned, it won't turn again, I doubt.

It sounds as if, it does not open despite saying 'open'... is that the case? I want to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then you do have the combination or code, and you do get an Open signal.

It sounds as if the latch is stuck. A good safe latch lubricant - usually not a grease-based lubricant, which can damage most safe's locks - might be helpful. It is usually powdered-type lubricant. When in doubt, consult the manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything to over ride not knowing the combination I am putting the key in * then it says open then 4 numbers then# I have also tried the key # ***** numbers then* it says open then with the key and * alone it says open but it always says error after a minute
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Are you following the procedure in the manual? it is highly recommended that when opening a safe, you follow the exact procedure in the manual for the safe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Key * numbers # ***** ***** procedure so my husband must have changed the combination
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, that is possible. A locksmith may have to break into the safe to open it.

Have you tried both putting the key in, then entering the key combinations? or, putting the key in after entering the keys? you should try both ways / orders of proceeding, before giving up - if you haven't already.