Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

How do I fill small cracks in crown molding. my crown

Customer Question

how do I fill small cracks in crown molding. my crown molding has a white satin finish
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Small cracks in crown molding can be filled using painters putty. It is soft and tou just rub it into the crack using your fingers and then wipe iff the excess with a soft cloth.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Since you mention color I assume you dont want to repaint . After you wipe the crack until it is as smooth the crack will be barely visible. If you know the name of your color you can touch up the cracks. Use water base paint and a very small brush. . Paint over the filled crack . Wipe the excess off the crown molding with a very slightly damp cloth being careful not to remove paint from the crack. Most paint stores have a sample size of their colors for a reasonable price. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DAP-16-oz-White-Painter-s-Putty-53-12242/100200268 This is a link to painters putty. It comes in white . It does not harden like caulk and is mean for nail holes and small cracks. If the color is close enough you may not have to paint it. Be sure to wipe any excess off . You can paint it the next day. It will still feel soft as it is not meant to dry hard and be sanded. If the color is close give it a few days without painting it and see how it blends with the existing color.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

The directions mention priming but that is for unfinished wood before it is painted. Some of the reviews are based on it not working like wood filler , which it is not , it is for small cracks and nail holes in trim. It is a little tricky for those wanting to place it with a knife which you should not use as it can mark the painted surface and is harder to use than your fingers. You can use thin gloves or your bare hand . It will wash off your hands.