MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Handyman
Experience:  I repair most everything mechanical and electronic related with over 25 years of experience in these fields.
11519491

I have a Genie Pro Max PMX500I C/. Recently the garage door

Customer Question

I have a Genie Pro Max PMX500I C/B. Recently the garage door has failed to open on demand when using the remote or keypad. For example it opens/closes in the morning without a problem but after school it will take up to 20 minutes to open whether using the remote or inputting the code on the keypad. Any ideas what the problem could be?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm sorry to hear about that.

How old is your garage door opener?

ALso when you say it takes 20 minutes to open or close, is it trying that whole time and turning? Or is it just seeming to open or close on its own later?

Thanks

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. My opener is 10yrs old. When I say 20 minutes it's 20 minutes of pressing the button or inputting the code on the keypad. Usually the garage door opens suddenly after multiple button pushes or code inputs. This issue affects opening the garage much more often than closing. It never opens on its own.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing is happening when pressing the button or inputting the code. It's totally unresponsive until that moment when the remote or keypad triggers the garage door.

Thanks, ***** ***** phone call will help in this case?

I will send you an offer, if you like that better maybe we can solve this issue quicker.

If you accept the offer, I will call you but please include the best time for you;-)

If not we can continue here like this.

I will need you to do a reset on the system as a tect so I can be sure of a couple of things.

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry?! I'm not at home during the workday. I'd like to see step one through before we move to a call. So you want me to reset the system and then do what?

Hi good morning, I want you to turn off power to the unit for 30 full minutes. Also during that time please remove the batteries from the remotes. for the same period of time.

This will give the system a chance to completely discharge and allow the IC circuits to reset to their original state. The reason for this step is to make sure that there wasn't an electrical power glitch that accidentally caused some memory locations inside the ic's to write bad data into the system. This can happen and sometimes this step will cure the problem. But if it doesn't that means you have a problem on the main control board inside the opener, please let me know if this changes anything?

Thank you

Tech Mike