Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I own a home that was built in approx 1890. I have 26

Customer Question

I own a home that was built in approx 1890. I have 26 Columns across the front and sides, which hold the roof to the porch which surrounds most of the home. (Queen Anne style) these Columns are 80" long, 37" around and hollow. Due to weather issues some have rotted and been removed. I have a couple that are now leaning inward. Several contractors are telling me they can not repair this problem. I have had 4 different contractors supposedly repair my home. Now same problems arising again. Do you have any SUGGESTIONS! I am at wits end with this our old home place. Financially it seems I am paying over and over for something that isn't done right to start with. This money pit is causing much depression! Help!!!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry you've had bad luck with contractors but you need to find a restoration carpenter/contractor who specializes in Victorian homes. This type of restoration is not one for a generic contractor with no experience restoring antique homes. Of course the problem can be fixed but I'm in no position to do that for you or even tell you how to effect the repairs without an onsite inspection (we only answer questions online). You could try HomeAdvisor.com and be very specific that you require a restoration contractor when you fill out your service request. There is no charge to you for HomeAdvisors referral service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What a rip off!! I got no answer and then you want to bill me $18 month! I love the This old house show,but I will NEVER ask you another question!!a
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I understand your upset about this issue with the columns but there's not a lot I can do from behind a computer screen. I did all I can pointing you to the proper type contractor. What were you expecting?