Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I live in charlotte, NC. Can I extend the house further to

Customer Question

I live in charlotte, NC. Can I extend the house further to the back to build another room?
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will be 10 feet extension from the current kitchen and dining room. Then I will use half of the extended space to build a new kitchen, the other half will be connect with current kitchen and make into a bedroom.( Extended space will be 10x24 feet)
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It depends entirely on the zoning requirements for where you live. There minimum setbacks (distance) from lot lines that must be maintained. The only way to find out what those setbacks are would be to call your city's code enforcement department (building inspector) or the engineering department. You'll probably need a recent lot survey to verify the distance your house and the proposed addition is from your property lines.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where to get the recent lot survey?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You have to hire a surveyor and have one done if you don't have one on hand from a previous real estate or mortgage transaction. If you don't have one on hand then it's best to check with the code enforcement office to find out just what they require