Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am trying to figure out what is going on with my garage

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out what is going on with my garage door. Its a typical overhead garage door with a genie door opener.
There is oil leaking from it somewhere, I cannot figure how or why, or where. I noticed the leak when I raised the door, there is oil literally dripping from the bottom of the garage door, at the very end/edge, near the track. I looked closely, and I can see a bit of oil on the cable near the top. Could it be the cable drum leaking oil and running down? The rollers look okay, I just cant figure out where this is coming from.
There is actually a lot of this oil, there is a good size puddle on the floor (about 12" diameter), seeping into the baseboards of my garage.
Any ideas?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The opener (if it is overhead) should be checked for any oil leakage. Normally it would not happen, and so if it happens it must be remedied, or the garage door opener motor may overheat and burn out.

It also occurs to me that, if this were a prank, careful tracing back (e.g. by wiping places with a clean spot on a rag cloth, and seeing if it comes away oily) might reveal that the oil comes from... nowhere! but that's just a though on the side.

Also, the same, if someone overly-much lubricated the track and/or other parts of it, in an effort to stop squeaking or binding or noises when operated.

Is your opener the type with a chain drive, or another type of drive?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

(Additional: the leakage of oil out of a failed capacitor in the opener, has been commonly reported about some Genie garage door openers. Whether in the quantity you report... that may be another matter! that capacitor is within / inside the opener itself, so you should be able to trace it back there.)

(Here's the capacitor of which this was reported.... maybe not for your exact model, though, and not recommended thereby as a replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/Genie-Garage-Opener-19988A-Capacitor/dp/B000CSWZV2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 )