Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

This is such a great service! We have just moved into a

Customer Question

This is such a great service! We have just moved into a beautiful home with French/Mediterranean features. The home is a gift from one of our children and her husband and will be used as a gathering place for the family for major holidays. For that reason we want to avoid putting major holes in certain areas just to hang our pictures, etc.
In my husbands office there is a beautiful marble fire place with a very high back which goes up about 6 feet above the mantel. It is arched at the top. Following your recommendations we would put the screws or hooks at the top of the marble arch where it meets the wall. That way the screws or hooks would be hidden from view. We wondered what gauge wire to buy.
We are hanging his father's engineering fraternity shawl from Dartmouth - which is framed (his father was from a very large, very poor family and was one of only two children who made it to college) and my husbands framed collection of NATO wings - a gift from his NATO flyin
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

A #10 hook will be more than adequate for this purpose. Click on the link below to see then at Home Depot. The link shows a 50 pack but you can buy them 1 at a time in the store. Let me know if you were considering a different type hook.

#10 hooks at Home Depot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What gauge wire do we need?Thank you!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

#10 is the wire gauge. Here is another hanging option that can also do the job with a smaller hole in the wall

Picture hangers

You can also buy these individually. The weight they can support is listed on the package

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - we don't want to put any holes in the beautiful marble.Thanks!!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You original post led be to believe you were installing the hooks above the marble. Any hanger that utilizes a wire gauge would require a hole. If you're hanging something on the marble there are other options that don't require holes. 3m makes a great product that is secure and can be removed without a trace

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Command-Picture-Hanging-Solution-Kit-Picture-Hanging-Solution-Kit/202466691