Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a condensation problem in our live in, open basement

Customer Question

I have a condensation problem in our live in, open basement when it becomes really warm outdoors. We have insulated the masonary wall on the outside of the house to 2' underground but below this area it is colder than the inside air. I need to run a dehumidifier when the humidity is high.
To cure this problem I bought 4'X 50' of 3/8" closed cell foam to glue onto our basement walls. I then plan to cover it w/wainscoting. I will do this When the interior becomes low in humidity, I will glue it to the foam, caulk to seal.
Does this sound right?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You need to isolate the concrete foundation (with foam insulation)and the entire outside wall, concrete floor to the underside of the floor above, from the conditioned/living space. So it sounds like that your plan is to cover the remaining un-insulated concrete with foam. That's a good start and as long as the remainder of the outside wall is also insulated with foam you should be ok. If you have a partition in front of the foundation then that partition must have a floor to floor above vapor barrier and should be insulated as well if you live in an area with cold winters.