Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a garage door that as it closes and open the screw

Customer Question

I have a garage door that as it closes and open the screw track bend upwards and twists.What is causing this?
Thank you,
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

It should be twisting because that is what is moving the door. However, it should not be bending and if it is bending you may need to be replaced. In that situation, there could be some danger because of the tension that those parts might be under. Check along the length of the screw and see if it seems like it is still solid or if it is broken or bent somewhere. This could have happened when some excessive force was put on the door although it would have to be quite a bit of force to cause it to bend. For example if it was hit by a car or something like that.

Most importantly be sure that the screw track is securely fastened at both ends so that there is no room for it to move in any way.