Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I have a building and I red an architect to do the drawings

Customer Question

I have a building and I hired an architect to do the drawings for a small auto shop. The plans have been approved by the city of San Diego Ca. But in building the property I want to safe money. Do I need a contractor or can I hire the people myself and
get it done cheaper. What steps should I take?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

As long as you build to meet the specifications on the plans you have bumerous options to save money.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

First get several bids on your project. There should be enough variation in the bids to give you a chance for some initial savings up front. Remember only use licened contractors.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

As for hiring people yourself ( being your own general contractor) to obtain the permit usually requires a contractors license'. You can ask for an exemption which is granted or not based on your experience in construction.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Being your on general contractor can save money but it can be a major job finding subcontractors abd getting them to work for you. They often are tied up by their "regulars " and you can spend a lot of time waiting. That said it is a lot of work but you can save money that way

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Another way to save is to find a contractor that will let you do some of tha sub contract work. Site clean up and trash removal is something they might sub to you. Also painting

is a job you might could handle yourself.

Any skills you may have can become a savings to you. I will be glad to answer aany questions you may have. Machinc

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Job sites have to be clean on a daily basis. This is something you could have the generak contractor deduct from the building cost if you are willing to fo it. Its a pretty easy job if you stay on top of it.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I mentioned painting because you can save a lot of money if the general contractor agrees to your doing it. They will expect you to do it in a certain time period . If it slows down other parts of construction you could create some problems. The electrician and flooring contractors cannot finish until painting is complete. The general contractor has draws from the bank that also depend on the paint being finished. Sll of these will need to be considered.