Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I am getting a multie fuel stove installed. The wall behind

Customer Question

I am getting a multie fuel stove installed . The wall behind the stove is not solid so I am told meaning there is a plasterboard in front of the wall. Now there was a 75 mm combustible wall to be build, instead of that I got three 15mm fireproofed plasterboards in front of each other installed and I am told this is as good if not better. Can you agree to that?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

The question to be asked is what temperature will the wall get to.

I cannot see how 3 sheets of plasterboard 45mm is better than a 75mm fire wall.

This is what the UK suggests to build a 1 hour fire break.

How do you provide a 30 or 60 minute fire-rated horizontal membrane?

Use CasoLine MF incorporating Gyproc WallBoard or Gyproc FireLine board and insulation. For 30 minutes fire resistance in accordance with BS 476: Part 22, use two layers 12.5mm Gyproc WallBoard overlaid with 100mm Isover Spacesaver Ready-Cut. For 60 minutes fire resistance in accordance with BS 476: Part 22, use two layers 15mm Gyproc FireLine board overlaid with 30mm stone mineral wool (minimum 24 kg/m3).

As you can see its a lot more difficult than just installing a few sheets of board.

Whereas a wall when built properly with the correct materials can give you more than an hours protection.

I understand that a Lime Morter plaster is good for giving the wall a good finish .