Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I need to refinish a basement bathroom that had water

Customer Question

I need to refinish a basement bathroom that had water damage. There are copper pipes and 2 electrical junction boxes that are about 2 inches below the joists. Should I use a drop ceiling to cover the pipes, or could I fur the joists out and use drywall?
Also, the previous ceiling was 6 inches down, and the shower tile will have a 3-4 inch gap. Is there another way to attractively cover the gap without retiling the whole shower? I want the ceiling to be as high as possible.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You can't bury a junction box so a drop ceiling is your only option if you want to comply with the code. You can use a fiberglass panel (cut to fit) above the tile. You could also use a solid surface product like Swanstone but it's 1/4" thick (the fiberglass will be very thin) and it's a lot more expensive. If the top course of tile is a cap tile then the fiberglass won't stick out beyond the radius of the cap. If the top course is a regular tile then the Swanstone will be flush.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't going to bury the junction box. but thought I could make the sheetrock level with the box. But it sounds like there's no problem having a drop ceiling only drop 3-4 inches?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's more difficult to install the panels with only a couple inches clearance but it can be done. But if you aren't going to bury the the boxes then sheetrock is another option.