AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

I have a guardian garage door opener. The garage door won't

Customer Question

I have a guardian garage door opener. The garage door won't open with the remote or the base control. What is wrong and how do I trouble-shoot it to fix the problem. Also how do I reprogram my remote?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please confirm the following as more details are needed:

1. The opener will not open the door with either the wall button or the remote?

2. If you disengage the door from the trolley, will the opener drive operate then?

3. Programming a remote is done , by first pressing the Learn button on the rear of the opener head, a small led will illuminate, then within 30 seconds pressing a button on the remote for it to learn the remote and the opener lights should blink or make a beep to let you know it has accomplished the task

4. Do you have a wall button light or does the opener have a light that flickers or blinks?

5. Power is available to the opener?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. The door will now open with either the wall button or the remote, confirm, this is correct.
2. I am presently at work, I will disengage the door from the trolley when I get home this afternoon and see what happens.
3. Where is the Learn button on the rear of the opener head? I did not see it last night when I tried to trouble-shoot it. Also, where can I get a manual for my Guardian Garage Door? (600 SL; 3/4 Executive series).
4. I have a wall button light, I did not notice any flickering or blinking light for my opener nor my wall button light.
5. Electrical power is available for the opener.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction to question number one; the door will "NOT" open with either the wall button or the remote.

Ok, thanks.

The Guardian units are the most difficult to acquire manuals, but I am still in the process of searching data bases in hopes of finding an original one for electronic copy.

It is odd for any opener to NOT open at least some.

Disconnect the door from the trolley and try the test. Listen closely for noises from the opener at the same time, to see if you hear humming or anything related to a motor.

That will also help to know if the motor drive is engaging.

Learn buttons are normally on the rear area, sometimes under the light lenses also.

Post when you are able to update the situation, all at your convenience

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the door from the trolley and tested the remote and wall button again. I did not hear any humming or anything related to the motor, only the light came on and the beeping. the trolley did not move, nothing moved. I also pressed the learn button and nothing happen. What else can I do for trouble-shooting?

Ok,

Please do not press the learn button, you can wipe the openers memory completely doing that if you hold it for more than 6 seconds.

The learn button is used only for learning remotes to the opener.

I am still unable to find your model anywhere, even at Guardian, it ois so strange they do not even show it in the database.

Have you unplugged the opener from power for 10 minutes and then replug and see if that resets the unit?

That does reset some openers when they get hung in a situation, like rebooting a PC.

You are getting alight and beeping, so the power supply must be good.

It is almost like a relay is not engaging the motor drive.

I will search some more, but may have to put the question back on the board for other experts if I am unable to find a manual.

They are all similar, but the components are different

Appreciate the understanding

Thanks