Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

I am renovating an office space and wanted the walls

Customer Question

I am renovating an office space and wanted the walls sound controlled, could you tell me what you would do to sound control the wall?

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

There are several products.

Sound barrier sheet rock.

Sound barrier placed behind normal sheet rock.

There are combinations of options.

Tell me if you are going to remove existing sheet rock down to the studs or if you want to leave the existing sheet rock in place... and... tell me what type of ceiling is in place, suspended T bar, or old style lath and plaster.

How quiet do you want this to be, just a 50% reduction sort of an approach, or dead silence no matter what is going outside.

The quieter you want it, the more it will cost.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

these are new walls to be framed. the ceiling is drywall. I would be happy with anywhere between 20% to 50% sound reduction.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-QuietBrace-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-0-30-Sound-Deadening-Structural-Insulating-Sheathing-3103308/202089176

. the product is called 'quiet brace' it goes on under the sheet rock, at $10 a sheet, the net total cost of materials is about a third of other products. It gets good reviews.

Caulk around the electrical boxes and any other penetrations to get the best results.

.................

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today, the company only pays me if you rate my work. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.

If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have you heard of sound board? and is this similar to this other product that you just mentioned? My understanding is that it is applied underneath the drywall as you mentioned with the other product.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, there are 6 or 8 various brands and types of products for this purpose.

Most of them get decent ratings especially since you are only looking for 20 to 50% noise reduction.

If you have the brand names you can look each up on google and read the reviews...personally I like the Home Depot product best.. it is the lowest cost of all of them and gets very good reviews.

There is also a double thickness sheet rock option with a special thick glue they use to laminate them... its very heavy and difficult to hang on the ceiliing,,not to mention if cost $54.

Read the reviews on the Home Depot product I linked to I think you will see what I mean.

Phil
...........