Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am replacing carpet in my cabin - when I pulled up the old

Customer Question

I am replacing carpet in my cabin - when I pulled up the old carpet, there was tar paper under the pad nailed to the wood subfloor - there was a bad smell, apparently due to pet urine from the previous owner's pet - we removed all of the old tar paper - question: should we replace the tar paper before installing the new padding and carpet?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You don't need and probably shouldn't use tar paper under a carpet. Maybe the previous owners were worried about pet urine soaking into the wood sub floor. But tar paper is never used under a carpet.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm logging off for the night. If you have more questions I'll respond in the morning. If not I'd appreciate a favorable rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Based on your advice not to replace tar paper that was over the wood subfloor under the old carpet, what should I use instead of tar paper as a very good moisture barrier over the subfloor under the new carpet - I am worried about moisture coming up from the crawl space?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you have an exposed dirt crawl space then the vapor barrier should be in the crawl space not under the carpet. You should put poly on the ground. You can also attach it to the bottom of the floor joists.