Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

What is both the minimum & maximum riser height within a Single Family Resi

Customer Question

What is both the minimum & maximum riser height for stairs within a Single Family Residence in Indiana?
I believe the maximum is 8.25" not sure of minimum & I think there is a maximum variance in the run & maybe from tread to tread.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Here is a document that was still valid 29 jully 2015 (that data can change over time so you need to always verify first):
http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T06750/A00130.PDF?
Look at page 21, it cover the data you need (just do a find for "riser" on that page and you will fall on it).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does NOT answer the question!. All that is given here is the MAXIMUM riser height (which I included in the question). I specifically also asked for maximum & minimum, as well as maximum variance in the run & maybe from tread to tread. All specifically pertaining to a single family house in Indiana. (I don't know the difference in R2, R3, etc.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You are in Groupe R-2 The minimum tread depth is 9As for the variance, it should be minimal (i personally don't tolerate any). 0.1875 inches for consecutive step or 0.375 inches for the maximum variance in a flight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We still aren't there Martin:
I didn't ask anything about tread depth.
I want to know the MINIMUM RISER HEIGHT.
Also are your comments about variance the actual CODE amounts or just a suggestion or opinion?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, i have intermitent internet tonight.The minimum riser is usually 4 inches even if i never see close to that indoor.The 0.375 variance is code, the one about consecutive step i can't find in Indiana code.