Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

What is the cause or 11 light flashes on a Craftsman

Customer Question

What is the cause for 10 or 11 light flashes on a Craftsman 53985 garage door opener?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
The most common reason for the lights to flash on the garage door opener and the door not closing is that the safety reversing sensors are misaligned or obstructed; this is a safety feature of the garage door opener.
When properly connected and aligned, the sensor will detect an obstacle in the path of its electronic beam. If an obstruction breaks the light beam while the door is closing, the door will stop and reverse to full open position, and the opener lights will flash 10 times.
As you have already checked the sensors, the other possibility is that the lock button on the door control may be activated. Press the button to turn this feature off. The light bulb will blink two times. This feature is designed to prompt you that the lock button is activated. When the lock button is ON the garage door opener will work from the door control but the remote controls are locked out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again I can open the door with a remote OR wall control. Then I can't close the door with a remote so I need to close the door by pressing and holding the wall control. When pressing the Lock button on the wall control no lights blink. Both the sensors lights are bright. What next?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If the sensors are all ok and the sensor lights are on, then it may be a problem with the opener itself - the opener works harder to close the door than it does to open it. It might need the closing force on the opener unit to be turned up slightly on the back of the unit by turning it a 1/4 turn at a time then test it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your messages did NOT answer the problem.Please close the ticket with NO charge to my credit card.Thank you.***** *****
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Tim,
Did you adjust the closing force on the opener unit, like I suggested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes completed all suggestions with no success