Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a state select hit water heater it throwing a code for

Customer Question

I have a state select hit water heater it throwing a code for lock out...it cycles 3-4 times but never lights, was wondering if the flame part could be clogged and if I should replace...
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What is the model of your heater? does the gas valve have 2 arrows or a dial to set the water temp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 arrows with the lights...model pr640ncvetj?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok which LED's are lit when it locks out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vacation mode , a, b
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's a generic flame failure error. When your cycle the power off, wait a minute then back on does the igniter glow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does...was wondering if the heat plate could be clogged or bad, seems its getting no gas at all
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You could pull the burner and check for a clogged main burner orifice. Could also be a lot of rust debris blocking the burner outlets. If neither of those work then you could have a bad gas control valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I'm guessing a gas control valve isn't fun to change?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Not that difficult. If you can manage pulling the burner to check the orifice then the only additional work to change the valve is to drain the tank, disconnect the leads and unscrew it from the tank. But if this unit is more than 8 years old and it has seen heavy use it might not be worth the expense (~$200) for a new valve since the tank could leak at any time.