Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Experience:  Work on all parts of home construction & maintenance
2926636

I recently had wood stairing installed and the nose pieces

Customer Question

i recently had wood stairing installed and the nose pieces have an angle to them meaning their are not flat to the step -- is this right?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Shaw aka Dr.Fix-It , Your online expert ready to assist you.. Yes the stair nose pieces can have a rounded or angled pitch to ensure a non protruding sharp edge of each step.
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
The angle should only be slightly inward toward each rise and with inch or so of the start of each step... if it is too much of an angle such as 45 degrees or extended too far, then would not be very safe or sturdy to climb up on. Can attach a photo so can better see how your stairs were installed. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i attach a photo?
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
on the tool bar above the text window can click on the paperclip on the far right to select and upload a file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo showing the angle of the nose compared to the rest of the step. This seems too much, but I do not if there is code or something that drives the height or angle for safety?
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
The picture step appears to be a standard interior bullnose stair tread http://www.flooring.org/images/Stair-Nosing2.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
The ends are rounded to provide smooth end to prevent scrapes or bump into sharp edges and makes it easy to install carpet onto and over each step if desired as well.
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
Stair Tread Nosing Stair tread nosing projection past vertical riser below (3/4&Prime; to 1 1/2&Prime;) required on stairs with solid risersTread nose projection uniformity (<= 3/8&Prime; variation)Stair tread nosing curve radius (=< 9/16&Prime;)Tread Nose not required if tread depth is => 11&Prime;Tread Nose not required on open stair treads (open riser)2008 New York State Stair Code R311.5.3.3: Stair Tread [nose]The greatest stair tread nosing projection shall not exceed the smallest nosing projection by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) between two stories, including the nosing at the level of floors and landings.A nosing is not required where the tread depth is a minimum of 11 inches (279 mm).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am more concerned with how the nose transitions from the flat of the step. I do not know if you can tell from the picture but from the flat of the step, the nose piece has an upward angle which in my opinion seems severe. I can understand where you wouldn't want it pointed at a down angle which if someone slipped, you would cruise down the steps.
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
There should be atleast 6" of flat area to walk on, the edge can have a slight lip and if the noising was attached over the step trend then may have a higher angle that is not needed if not going to be carpeted
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
sorry ..it is 6" rise with 10" trend per step...
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
If the lip of the nosing is too high, then may need to cut back the stair trend so can install the nosing level or if prefer can just have on solid step with routered end for smooth nosing. http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/502/847/415/415847502_112.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and let me know how it goes...