AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

My garage door will not close with my remote. It will close

Customer Question

My garage door will not close with my remote. It will close with the wall switch.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.1. Does the opener close the door with one push on the wall button, or do you have to hold the button until it closes?2. Will the remote open the door fine when closed?3. What make and model of opener do you have in place? Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to hold the wall remote down. And yes, the remote will open the door. The label on the side of the opener says Chamberlain LiftMaster professional 1/2 horsepower. It was installed in 2008.
Ok, thanks for the added information.The symptom you are describing is usually related to a failure in yoursafety sensors (photo eyes).When the (photo eyes) or associated wiring are malfunctioning,the door will often open as normal with the remotes,and wall buttons however,will not close with the remotes or keypad and will only close by keepingconstant pressure on the wall button.The safety sensors are located at the door with one on each side facingeach other. Normally Each should have its own indicator light.If one is amber and one green.Amber is usually the sending unit and the green is the receiver.So, if there is no green light, the sensor does not sense the area clear because of mis alignment, dirty lens, wires etc.The safety sensors may be dirty. Wipe lenses with a damp clothThey can easily become mis-aligned due to bumping,twisting and loose mounting andcan easily move when the door is moving along the track as it twists the rail slightly.The safety sensors may be misaligned (This is the most common issue withGarage Door openers). Make sure that all mounting brackets are tight.Moving one of them just slightly can bring them into alignment, so caution on moving them too much at one time.Watch the led lights on each one as you attempt to get them aligned, you will see one one of them light up if it was out and that is the spot to hold it in place.I have seen them come completely loose on the bracket from movement over the years.Try alignment first and see if that will solve the issue. Also sometimes connections right at the sensors will be lost due to vibration etc.Keep me posted, may have to check the wiring from the sensors to the opener head if there are no lights on one of them at this time.