Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I want to convert a second floor attic area into bedroom

Customer Question

I want to convert a second floor attic area into bedroom space. The existing floor is 2x6, 16" OC and is used for storage and supports a plastered ceiling below. As far as I can tell the 2x6's span 22' - I see no evidence of a beam that would reduce the
span. The adjacent space is a bedroom built with 2x10 joists. Q: if I sister the 2x6's with 2x10's, would the structure be adequate? If not, what would be another option, without installing a beam? I want the result to match the level of the adjacent floor.
Jack
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can sister a 2 x 10 to the existing 2 x 6 but you need the load bearing capacity of both to adequately span 22'. So when you sister them up you need to use construction adhesive to bond the sisters together and you need to nail the 2 every 16" (2 nails) into the 2 x 6 along its entire length. Take care that there's no dust clinging to the existing 2 x 6's before you apply the adhesive. It will be easier to pull the 2 together (without clamps) if you nail from the 2 x 10 side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So my understanding then is the sistering is adequate support for a bedroom. Can you tell me what max loading this set up would support? What would be the deflection for a standard loading?Thanks
Jack
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
That's an engineering question and beyond the scope of your original request. Under standard code sizing tables a 2 x 6 + a 2 x 10 would meet 40 lb live load residential requirements at 22'. If you want an engineering analysis post a question to the structural engineering category. However if you're looking for something to satisfy the building inspector you'll need to pay an engineer for the calcs and a letter. Typical costs for that typically run around $200.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Rick. I appreciate the quick response.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome