Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
63990871

I have a glass coffee table and a relative put his feet on

Customer Question

I have a glass coffee table and a relative put his feet on top of the glass cocktail table and the glass broke in numerous places. How am I am to repair the glass or if I can glue it together? pla
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dovetail Greene replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. My name's Kel. Unless the broken piece is fully supported by the table's structure gluing won't work. Because the area of the bond is small the glue can't develop enough strength. You could get a piece of thick plastic cut the same size as the glass and put the plastic under the glass to provide some support. The problem there is the plastic will tend to sag where it's not supported by the table structure creating a gap. If you try to glue the plastic to the glass you'll be able to see the glue. I can't think of a way to repair the glass and have it look remotely as good as before the damage. The only solution is to have a new piece of glass cut. Will probably also need the edges polished. Does this make sense? Have I answered your question?
If I've answered your question would you rate my response so I can get paid?
Yours,
Kel