Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

We have two bids from two solar panel companies. One claims

Customer Question

We have two bids from two solar panel companies. One claims to use German-made solar panels, which are distinguished from American-made panels by their longer-lasting enginuity and efficiency. Essentially, the German-made solar panels loose 15% of their
wattage production over 15 years; then, they continue to produce wattage at 85% afterward. The American-made company, Complete Solar, claims their panels loose 30% of their wattage production over 40 years; then, they continue to produce wattage at 70% afterward.
Problem is, the representative for Complete Solar, which provided us with a much better presentation--and I do know what makes a presentation professional, which includes honesty, even practical honesty--says that the German-made solar panel company recently
went into bankruptcy, which puts them in the position of going out of business at anytime. With regard to their warranties, because the German company is foreign, their warranty would be voided; whereas, Complete Solar is a USA company, and the warranty would
remain in effect. What's your perspective on these choices?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Get a quote from Solar City, that is a world class company, see what numbers they come up with and if they service your zip code or not.
It was co founded by Elon Musk who co-founded, PayPal, and founded Space X (currently delivering pay loads to the space station at a tenth the previous cost) and Tesla electric car company (you get free electric charging for the car for the lifetime of the car).
http://www.solarcity.com/
Enter you zip code here, let me know what they tell you. I think you will be quite surprised.
-----------------
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.