Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I was looking to rent a screw gun to install deck boards. A

Customer Question

I was looking to rent a screw gun to install deck boards. A gun that has the screws automatically loaded via a screw clip. Does this make things go a lot faster? I'm looking at the quik drive product with 3" galvanized deck screw made for treated wood.
I'm unsure of the color, do people go with a galvanized sliver coloured deck screw for a treated deck board?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You can't use galvy screws with treated wood they'll rot out in a few years. You need to use ceramic coated or stainless screws. Yes the screw guns with the collated self feeding screws do speed up the job (some) but you might have trouble finding one at a tool rental outlet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops. Meant to say stainless steel
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yeah stainless will work. Another problem with renting the self feed gun is getting the screws you want. It won't save you a lot of time but it will save some waer and tear on your knees (but not your back).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have a stainless steel 3" screw. As well a 3" screw made for composite. I like that one as its brown and will match my brown treated deck boards, however not sure if you can use a composite coated screw for treated wood?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If it's ceramic coated you can use it