canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

Genie 2024 issues. The door opens and closes correctly for

Customer Question

Genie 2024 issues. The door opens and closes correctly for one cycle and the next stops short both directions and runs on low speed. Unplugging it resets and the whole scenario starts again. Is it the circuit board? Thanks, GWF.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I suggest that you first try increasing the 'strength' or 'force' or perhaps it is labeled 'torque', on your Genie garage door opener. Sometimes a door will stop, because the strength of the motor in the garage door opener, is not sufficient to propel it past a certain point where the resistance of the workings of the door is a little higher. Increasing the strength setting helps with this sort of problem... and though the 'running slow' isn't necessarily related to that sort of problem, it might be. It's something to try. Also, try manually cranking the door up - from Closed - for a considerable distance, to well past the point at which it usually slows down. Note whether the resistance of the door to cranking open by hand (not by the opener nor its controls) becomes greater after a-foot-or-two-higher-than-closed. If so, a Strength adjustment increase on the opener might well help.Also note whether noise (creakings or squeakings, or hopefully not snappings) increase after a bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The solution does not make any difference. After resetting (unplugging from electrical outlet), it will close/open normally; however, it immediately will revert to slow descent/ascent and will not fully open/close until it is unplugged again.

Next suggestion?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If increasing the strength does not help, and if you have manually cranked the door and found it not to bind nor get harder to do, or noisier in its action, at a certain point, then I confess I'm out of ideas as to the cause - aside from, perhaps, a heat-related electrical or electronic problem with the opener itself. Which would unfortunately require replacement or servicing.

I suggest that you call a service tech over to look at the problem. But in case another Expert might have a better idea, at no additional charge to you, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. Does this mean someone will automatically respond?

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. When the door is stopping, does the motor sound like it is being restricted? Does this happen exactly the same every time or is it when the door is opened and closed immediately after it has opened or closed and if the door is not operated right after being opened or closed it operates normally? I hope that made sense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, that isn't the problem - door does not bind nor does the opener motor make any unusual noise as I was standing on a ladder right next to it. It will only operate properly one time either up or down. it will NOT sustain proper operation.

I would appreciate hearing from a garage door opener technician if possible.

No problem. I will certainly opt out and open to other experts. No need to rate my service as I have not provided an answer.