Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Got a new stanley garage door opener with 10 switches inside

Customer Question

got a new stanley garage door opener with 10 switches inside but I cant tell which switches to turn on and off. My opener does not have switches on inside but has 5 wires and the 2nd wire is cut. I have tried several different on off trials but cant get the right one. I know the garage door opener works because my girl friend has a stanley opener and I matched the switches with her door opener and it works
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Are you referring to the tiny DIP switches?
These are used to set the opener to match your remote control - the information will be contained in the user manual.
Please confirm the model number or attach a photo of the switches if you require further assistance.
Thanks!
Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the remote has switches but the opener has 5 wires with the 2 nd wire cut. they are numbered 2,4,6,8,and 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my phone number is(###) ###-####cell is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I will need to know what system and remote we are dealing with here.
Can you please confirm the model numbers or attach a photo of the wires and switches if you require further assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At work now it is a Stanley installed in the 80's don't have model # ***** work right now
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you provide further information later this evening, and attach some photos?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model # ***** Stanley Closer is 200.44 Serial Code 87342
Cant do pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't do survey yet. Not finished still can't set switches. Am at work again right now for rest of the day
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm a different Expert - the previous Expert has given up the case. My name is*****
I would like to confirm some details, please, before trying to advise you.
In my terms, there is the 'Opener' - a big box that drives the door.
And then there is the 'Remote' - a hand-held device that can be used to give commands to the big box (the opener.)
- Does your opener work, currently?
- Does your remote work, currently?
- If the opener (I am guessing) doesn't seem to work, how is it not working? if the part that isn't working is the remote, is it totally dead, not directing the opener, or what is the problem, please?
I understand that you need to set switches, it seems. But the associated problem or problems is also what I need to know about, to try to answer your question properly. Let me know, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The opener and the remote both work. Lost the old remote and bought a new one and cant set the switches in the remote to transmit to the opener. The opener dosent have switches but has 5 wires labeled 2,4,6,8,10 the 2nd wire is cut. Dont have the original remote so cant see switches in it to set the new remote. Have tried several different settings of the switches in the new remote but so far no luck. The Stanley opener model # ***** ***** and the serial code is 87342
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding with that information, it helps clarify the issue.
But one more piece of data is needed: the maker and model # ***** the new remote you got, which you have now, please. I need to know what maker and model # ***** new remote control is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is made by Linear corp. Model # ***** ***** I know it works because my girlfriend has an old Stanley opener with the same type of remote with switches. I set the switches in my remote to the same as in hers and it opened her garage door. My old remote was the same type but the opener does not have switches in it but has the wires I described to you. It will work if I can just get the right combination setting of the switches.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Essentially I think I can sum up the problem and its solution in this fashion:
- the Linear 1050 remote control, is compatible with garage door opener systems that use radio signals at the frequency it uses.
- the code switches may be set to *anything*. It simply provides a code that distinguishes your opener from someone else's opener.
- But, the code switches have to be set identically to the ones in the opener.
- your garage door opener's switches are (so far) 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.
- your garage door opener's switches (so far) are set to 2=OPEN, others=CLOSED.
Now you should be able to set 2 to OFF (which = OPEN), and 4, 6, 8, 10 in your remote, to ON (=CLOSED).
- then there are two choices: 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 set to OFF.
- ... or, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 set to ON
Try the first, then if it doesn't work, try the second choice for the odd-numbered switches. It matches what you know of your own opener's 'switches'.
If that doesn't work, then please examine your garage door opener again. Is there anything in it labeled 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 ? if so, that might be what you need to get this situation into being a workable situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still cant get it to work. What if I cut the other 4 wires would it be easier to set then?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I would not do anything hastily.
Did you try both 1,3,5,7,& 9 set to OFF, and those set to ON as well?
Did you look into your garage door opener to see if there were any more switches or similar options (numbered 1,3,5, etc., presumably) ?
A last-minute idea: try the combination of
1 & 2: OFF
3 & 4: ON
5 & 6: ON
7 & 8: ON
9 & 10: ON
And a variation of that idea:
try the combination of
1 & 2: ON
3 & 4: OFF
5 & 6: OFF
7 & 8: OFF
9 & 10: OFF
- these both assume that the 'missing' switches follow the setting of the 'other', or even-numbered, wires on the opener.
The last resort is not to tamper further with your own opener - but rather, to ask to look at your girlfriend's opener 'switch' or wire combination. It doesn't need to be kept a secret, you already know the switch settings to make it work.
And if your remote with her switch combination works with her opener('s wire or switch combination) then your opener should work with it also - if the models are the same and if the 'switches' are also set by wires.
Or, just let me know (*if* your girlfriend's opener has wire-settings) what those settings are, and what switch settings on your remote worked with them, and I'll deduce the proper combination for your opener's current wire settings from it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at home right now but will be back later tonight. Thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I hope one of the options I explained will get it working.
Let me know after you have tried them, at your convenience. Thanks.