Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I have some solid oak wood flooring. It has got damp by being

Customer Question

I have some solid oak wood flooring. It has got damp by being stored in a garage for a few years. The moisture level has come down to less than 10% now after being stored indoors for a month, my carpenter says the tongue and grooves won't fit together unless a tiny amount is shaved off the tongue on each piece. However he says that with contraction and expansion of the solid wood in the future it might move too much in the next few years. Specifically the tongue and grooves expanding and contracting because of shaving a little off the groove. However I have read that solid wood flooring should be nailed to timber underneath (I don't have concrete). If this is done , would this restrict potential movement of the wood ? I think floating solid oak wood flooring isn't a good idea anyway.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to let you a way to rate me, so this message is just to allow the system to allow it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry have you answered ? I can't see an answer.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes and no it seem :) The tech are testing a new interface for us and it seem it is not ready because i don't see my answer anymore :(
Here it is again, and sorry for the delay:
I would not shave any. Wood is not elastic and don't perfectly come at the same position after moving by humidity. What i would do if the tongues don't fit in the grooves is to pass them in multi pass between two metalic roller to compress them a bit.
Yes you can nail them to the wood underneath (usually a very flat and leveled playwood) with an air gun. If they are twisted, make sure you can hold them flat with your body weight, that will mean that the nails will also be able to keep them flat when installed. For wood too much twisted, steam can be used to reform them but this might not possible if they are prefinished.
If the tongue is still inconvenient to get in the groove, you can slighlty sand the corner to make them round (most of the time the groove will already be round or in V shape to make it easier but there is still a lot of rectangle tangue made.
If the Hardwood was properly milled (with the quarter saw technique), the expension of the tongue should only be up/down and not sideway, so the tongue should not be too long and fit at the bottom of the groove fine.