Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I am in Mobile, Alabama. We have had our garage door opener

Customer Question

Hi. I am in Mobile, Alabama. We have had our garage door opener in use for several years without trouble. Last night, when I tried to close the door using the wall mounted push button, the light on the button (it's like a doorbell push)began to flicker. At the same time, the light on the opener in the garage came on and began to flicker. There was no other response to my pushing the button--so sound, nothing. It was late, so I closed the door manually and unplugged the opener.
This morning I checked all the wire connections--they are mostly out in the open and they all seem fine. I took the switch off the wall and its connections look fine.
I plugged the opener back in after that checking and had the same experience--VERY rapid flickering in the bulb on the opener and on the wall switch. I am also (now) hearing a very rapid clicking coming from inside the GDO box.
I unplugged it again, and am asking you for ideas...
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Do you get the same response with any hand held remotes or a keypad if you have them?
Can you push the wall button and then HOLD it in, do not let go, and see if the door will move?
If it does move, keep holding the wall button until it touches the floor and only then release the button.
Look on the openers nameplate and get the Model number and post .
Let me know and we can continue.
Thanks