Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

Can you change a glider chair into a reclining chair if it is 100% wood. It is the old-fa

Customer Question

Can you change a glider chair into a reclining chair if it is 100% wood. It is the old-fashioned glider chairs that mothers rock their babies in to sleep.
Do you have a plan to build a recliner out of a straight back glider all wooden glider chair
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome!
Unfortunately it will not be even remotely possible to convert a gliding chair into a reclining chair... that is because recliners have an elaborate set of levers that change the angle of the seat and back as you recline, and the gliding chairs have all that fixed solidly in place.
It would be like converting an apple pie into a beef stew... the components are entirely different if that makes any sense.
......
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.