Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I bought a new home with a deck. The deck is 8" down from

Customer Question

I bought a new home with a deck. The deck is 8" down from the door sill and too high for my elderly father. I need to create a step about 4" on the deck attached to the door entrance.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Just frame a "box" out of treated 2 x 4's that extends 10" from the wall with the door with intermediate support every 2' . Then top it off with 5/4 x 6 treated decking 2 board wide. A couple screws into the wall should be enough to hold it in place and will allow future removal with minimal damage. If you want to follow the letter of the code you'd have to rip 1/2" off the width of the 2 x 4's but given the likely "temporary" nature of this step I wouldn't worry about it